Quote:
Quote:
3) This BS incident in a parking lot is not a battle of good and evil. This is not The Lord Of the Rings or Germany vs. England in WWII. This is some punk (probably armed) running from a shopkeeper and a keystone cop! Do I really lack principles by not sticking my neck out for that situation?

Yes, you do in my opinion.

And how is it the punk is "probably" armed? Because he stole clippers? Because he was a man? Because he was in his "maybe early 20s"? Wait, is it because he was thin? Or was it the sweatshirt that increased the likelihood of being armed? The fact that he was running? Or was it that he was African American?

You have no good reason to assume he was armed. Any more than he had to assume you weren't.

In the US, you should assume that EVERYONE is armed. Self preservation. It sounds like you have been lucky to have only gotten minor injuries for the trouble you've gotten yourself into. If one of those people that you tangled with WERE armed, you might not be arguing right now! Would you have been right? Maybe - but also dead.

- Jon

P.S. Found this on http://www.trivia-library.com/b/origins-of-sayings-live-to-fight-another-day.htm

The Saying: HE WHO FIGHTS AND RUNS AWAY WILL LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY.

Who Said It: Demosthenes

When: 338 B.C.

The Story behind It: In August of 338 B.C., the Athenian orator and statesman Demosthenes was an infantryman at Chaeronea, where a great battle took place between the Athenians and the Macedonians. The Macedonians were victorious, and 3,000 Athenians died. Demosthenes fled from the battlefield and was subsequently censured because of his desertion. To anyone who later called him a coward, Demosthenes retorted, "The man who runs away may fight again." From that line is derived the modern day version "He who fights and runs away will live to fight another day."