re: Sapphire... Isn't it only the lens cover using sapphire glass? The bit of glass that's attached to the case and not the lens elements themselves.

Apple is banking against NFC, at least in the short term. Personally, I don't know what, if anything I'd do with it if it were available in an iPhone. Maybe re-purpose it for some of the stuff that others are doing, like pairing devices.

Micro USB - glad it's not there. USB connectors, although far from the worst connectors made is far from ideal. Micro even more so. I'd like to see some of these other connectors go away and transition to something more similar to Apple's new connector. On a side-note, the connector which I still use, which I think is one of the worst ever created, comes from none-other than Sony. Toslink optical connector. Wow, what a useless POS in every conceivable way. Why on earth would anyone key an OPTICAL connector? And then make the key so subtle that it's nearly impossible to see with your eyes unless you're holding the connector right up to your face.

Also missing from the lightning announcement is WHY it's called lightning. Does it communicate at USB3 and/or Thunderbolt-like speeds? Will they have cables that connect to Thunderbolt?