Originally Posted By: Dignan
I also assume they won't be licensing the connector to other companies, or making it a standard of any sort.

Apple licensed the previous 30 pin connector to seemingly one million different companies through the "Made for iPod" program. I can't imagine that Apple wouldn't license this connector the same way. The "Made for iPod" website has already been updated to show the Lightning connector: https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/.

In addition to the companies using the connector through the "Made for iPod" program, countless other companies used the connector through the "Knocked Off in China" program. I can't imagine that that would change with this new connector either.

As far as standards go, the 30 pin connector was very much a standard. Not the kind that's submitted to a standards body for ratification, but a market-determined one, adopted by shedloads of companies, just driven by the sheer number of devices in use. Sure, it's not the same thing you might think of in terms of interoperability, since no one else used it as the connector on their music players or phones (because that would be legal suicide). But it's still very much a standard.

Walking around into people's homes or cars, I've seen lot's of micro-USB chargers now that that's been standardized. But, I've seen way more Apple 30 pin cables just lying around out there in the real world. If I were out at someone's house and my battery were dying, I'd have a greater chance of finding a cable capable of charging my iPhone than I would of finding a micro-USB cable. That's definitely a standard.

So, given time, Apple will sell hundreds of millions of iPhones/iPods/iPads with the new Lightning connector. Whether Apple takes any steps toward making this a formal standard (they won't), or licenses it to another phone manager (they won't), it will still definitely be a standard.