I can see Apple licensing photo data from Microsoft. Also, I don't know for a fact, but I suspect Google now has its own aerial images to extend whatever it licenses. I would imagine in addition to all the streetview stuff they've been making that they could afford to fly a few planes around taking pictures.

A number of friends and I have all manner of Garmin and TomTom GPS units. They, and myself (wives too etc.) also use Google Maps via the web site to check locations and initial routes. If I'm at the computer and I want to check something quickly I just pop in to a browser window.

Google Maps is nearly always dead wrong on its time calculations for any planned route here in Canada. Its directions are also fairly often not the best route when compared to Garmin and TomTom's. Less frequently, completely crazy. This of course depends on the route, because for really simple stuff they all may produce exactly the same suggested route. But Google will still be off on the time.

Google's platform was built over a long period of time and heavily supplanted with previously licensed data. I'm surprised they haven't been sued by TomTom and Nokia (and others) they way they have been by Skyhook. It doesn't take much stretching of the imagination to hypothesize that some of their map building may not have been totally above-board.

When Google first started offering directions, their quality and results were laughable compared to then-heavyweights MapQuest et al. This lack-lustre performance lasted for quite a while, Maps wasn't built overnight by any stretch.

Apple has a number of potential advantages here. They've got bucket-loads of money. But more importantly, they've got an insanely large initial user-base right from the start. Now it remains to be seen how they will use that crowdsourcing to improve their product. I have no idea if they plan to offer a street-view like feature or ever get into producing their own assets.

Edited by hybrid8 (28/09/2012 13:26)