Three days ago my Windows 10 computer stopped talking to my Kindle. It also stopped talking to my wife's Kindle, two old keyboard Kindles, and a brand new Kindle taken out of the box for the first time.

In addition to not recognizing five different Kindles, it also stopped connecting to two cell phones.

Yet, as near as I can tell all other USB devices in the house will connect without problem. This includes external hard drives, a scanner, a printer, my headphones, a card reader, three different USB hubs, my iPod Shuffle, and no doubt a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

I have tested the Kindles and phones on ten different ports on three different USB hubs and on the USB ports on the front of the computer case itself. I have tried five different USB cables. All of the devices, Kindles and cell phones, will recharge on any combination of cable and USB port, or off of any wall wart plugged into an outlet. They will not logically connect to the computer. I don't know if this is a software or a hardware problem. Windows 10 gives me a helpful error popup shown below. I don't think this popup is telling me the truth.

What should I do?

tanstaafl.

Attachments
USB Device Not Recognized.png