In reply to:

In reply to:

number6:
"The "law" that these folks really broke, was being Arab looking or from an "arab country". "

I disagree. There are many American citizens and legal vistors who are from arabic descent.

True, but is it not US Government policy enacted since 9/11, and recently enforced that all visitors to the US who were born in particular "Arab" countries (such as Yemen), regardless of where they live now must be routinely fingerprinted and photographed on entry to the US.

If this "racial profiling" policy (mandatory fingerprinting people born in particular countries) is not part of the same policy of "rounding up the usual suspects" i.e. 'Arabs') for anything and everything then I'd be surprised.

Regardless of the official policy and official reasons - thats the impression the rest of the world is getting from these actions of the INS.

This all reminds me of a "Not The Nine-Oclock News" (or was it "Three of a Kind") comedy sketch from the 80's about a policeman who is arresting people based on "racial stereotypes" - for such made up offenses such as "being in possession of short, black curly hair and moustache", or for having the name "Mr Odogo" etc.

Were it not happening now for real, it would still be funny...