So, being largely a novice in the world of Reflex cameras, I was talking with a friend who mentioned this issue. While he is definitely more expert than I am, none of us has any accurate data, and we are curious.
Is it (still?) true that DigitalSLR are slower that analog SLR in taking pictures, precisely since the time yuo push the shutter button to the time the image is captured? In other words, do you really capture what you see when you push the shutter button, or at least are you as fast as old analogs?

Usually reviews I've read, dpreview ones in particular, measure the time needed to take the first shot in terms of OFF-Shot. In other words, they include the time needed to power the camera on.

I can understand there could be a delay there compared to analog reflex (?), but I can also accept the solution of keeping the camera in Stand-by and pay the price in terms of battery life.

But, other than that - assuming current cameras are still affected by this - is there any other soruce of slowness?

I would tend to say no, and this is my reasoning. As you can see though, I am missing some data.
1. Disabling AF, I suppose that pushing the shutter button in a dDLR is like pushing the button on a SLR: shutter opens and light poors in.
2. Light reaches the sensor, which I would guess to be much faster than the film in capturing light and retaining it to replicate how exposure changes in time.
3. Processor needs to take data collected by the sensor, produce a file out of it, and store it in RAM first, memory card then. Am I missing something?
If not, I am assuming that delay can only be generated here. And the fact that the Canon 7D, for example, uses two image processors instead of one, makes me think that there is a need for speed there, especially, I suppose, with larger nr of bits needing to be processed when using high resolution sensors.

So, if I am correct in this simple thinking, are current cameras (image processors) perfectly comparable to old analogs? More realistically, are they all, or just some of them?

What do you guys think / know about this?

Edited by taym (12/09/2010 20:48)
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg