Originally Posted By: andy
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Originally Posted By: andy
I for one would prefer it to alert me to the problem rather than just slavishly taking the shot.

Why not both? I can't imagine an instance where a bad photo would be worse than no photo.

I can, for me at least. When you have forgotten you have it on too high and ISO, are quickly taking a shot and not bothering to review the shot. I'd far rather have the camera clearly let me know by not taking the shot so I can fix the problem.

You are assuming light meters are always correct. They are not, in fact reflected light meters are very easily fooled and tricked. For instance, what if you were trying to take a picture of something in a snowy scene with a ISO of 400 and aperture of f/2. It could well be that the correct shutter speed to render the snow white would be less than the camera's maximum shutter speed, however the light meter would think the correct shutter speed is 1/8000 (which few if any cameras can do) because it tries to render the snowy scene a neutral 18% gray. Blind reliance on light meters is a very bad way to take pictures- you can almost always get a better picture if you carefull spot meter the scene or use an incident meter. No one does this anymore in the age of digital because they can assume "I can just fix it later"- but they actually can't because of digital's low dynamic range..