Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
When photographers talk about a "faster" camera or lens, they are often talking about the light-gathering capability. [...]
Are you sure he wasn't talking about exposure time and not time between successive shots?

No, he is not talking about fast exposure times.

Conversation is still ongoing and at present it evolved as as follows:

Code:
            Shutter Rel.   Shutter     Sensor                                                   Shutter    File Generated
            Pressed        Opens       Reacts          Exposure                                 Closes  
Digital         |--------------|----------|-----------------------------------------------------|------------|
Analog          |--------------|----------------------------------------------------------------|------------|
Time            0              1          2                                                     3            4

Questions bein asked now are:

1. Is 0-1 time interval the same between analog and digital? I suppose the answer is "yes", meaning that it depends on the electronics between the shutter release button and the shutter itself, and has nothing to do with the camera being digital rather than analog.

2. Is 0-1 shorter in completely mechanical cameras, where the shutter is linked to the shutter release button via leverages?
I woudl say that if good electronics is used, it can be just the same as a mechanical one.

3. Is there a 1-2 time interval at all, in digital cameras? That is, does the sensor reacr immediately as it is hit by photons, or is there some lag time there?
I would guess it does react fast enough not to introduce any delay perceivable by humans compared to the chemical reaction occurring on a film, but it is just a guess.

This is just, pure intellectual curiosity.

Originally the question asked, that generated this thread, was actually different: if I want to take a picture of a specific moment in time and push the button of wto cameras identical in all but one being digital and the other analog, will they take the picture of the same "moment" in time? This already found an answer: yes. They will obviously take the picture of the "moment" in time defined by the exposure time interval.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg