Sorry, I suppose I wasn't taking into account purposely setting up the camera to fail, such as not making any shutter adjustment in shutter priority or aperture adjustment in aperture priority, trying to exceed the limitations of the software. In full program it should be able to make the necessary adjustments to always take a shot. Though to be sure, one can also use auto-ISO which makes even more automatic in the vein of a P&S.

Originally Posted By: andy
With auto focus on they will also refuse to take the shot if they have failed to get a focus lock.

This is an option for Nikons in at least the pro-sumer range, such as the D300. I'm pretty confident it's available at least in the D70/D90 class machines too.

Quote:
They will also refuse to take the shot in many modes if the flash is raised and the shutter speed needed would exceed the sync speed.

Hmm, this one I can't recall, but it too might be influenced by some configuration setting as well.

I think that once you're used to the limitations of the camera and more so the relationship of sensitivity, shutter and aperture (your calculated exposure), these situations will be very very rare.