Originally Posted By: hybrid8
The Lytro is definitely a gimmick product.

Heh. Two responses to Bitt, and two different opinions. I agree with this one. It's a gimmicky product.

Lightfield technology, however, is incredibly fascinating, and I could make great use of it, if it existed in pro-sumer camera models.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
How many times are you ever going to refocus an image?
If the question is how often am I going to refocus my own pictures, well, hopefully never. But reality says I can sometimes use a post-photo re-focusing. A lot of what I've been shooting lately is live-action theatre. You only get once chance at an actor's expression, because their performance is never identical. There have been plenty of times where I've gotten what I think is a good shot (composition, lighting, and by review on the LCD, focus), only to get home and discover that the focus was on their shoulder, instead of on their face, and the depth of field means their face is slightly out of focus. It would be nice to be able to fix small errors like that, instead of throwing out an otherwise good shot.

But if you consider how often am I going to let someone else refocus my photos? Never. But I can imagine such technology being useful for things like virtual museum tours, or gigapixel panoramas, etc.