Originally Posted By: tahir
How do you define pre-programmed? I had to get it to learn functions for my slimp3 and decided which keys should do "shuffle", "brightness" etc. Also had to do a bit of wotrk to get the Sky+ going as they didn't have all the functions included in the original code.

I suppose the issue is that there are different levels of "programmability."

Not-programmable:

The remote you get with your bluray player often cannot be programmed to control other components, and they don't assume you want to. They want to ship something with the product that will at the very least let you control it from your couch, and will cost them as little as possible to include in the packaging.

Pre-programmed:

Some remotes, like the ones that come with your cable box, give you the ability to control other devices like your TV or DVD player. These will come with a booklet of codes and a procedure for entering them. You don't get to choose which buttons do what, you just get what it gives you.

Learning remote:

Most of these have the codes of the pre-programmed remote, but also let you chose which buttons do what if you learn from another remote. Most remotes included with components do not have this, but if you go to any electronics store and see a Sony universal remote (like this $20 one), those can usually be taught codes from another remote.

The only problem with these is that's all you can do with them: teach from another remote you already have. If you loose that remote you either get stuck with the pre-programmed codes or nothing at all. Also, so far all the remotes I've mentioned have limitations to things like macro controls.

Fully-programmable:

Even here there are different degrees. The Harmony One, for example, is nothing like a Philips Pronto (no longer sold), but it costs a lot less. These allow higher levels of programming and customizability, and much more advanced macros.

For example, when I was setting up my Philips Pronto TS1000, I wanted to use discrete codes so that my macros would work with 100% accuracy. If someone walks in front of my remote while it's sending the codes and only half my components receive the commands, I just have to hit the same button again and everything will get to where I want it no matter what state anything is in. To do this I had to translate hex codes found online and edit them into the component's button configuration. Despite how good I think that $20 Sony remote is, I can't do that with them.

As I said in my first post, I'll often use learning remotes in conjunction with my Pronto in order to make them a lot smarter than they would be otherwise, but I have to have the smarter remote to begin with.