re: custom voladj settings

I don't think it would be too wise to chew up any more flash memory for custom VolAdj parameters. As much as I'd like it, we really do have to exercise restraint on this incredibly precious/limited resource. Currently I use just four bits (total) to keep track of separate car/home settings; to do fully custom would require perhaps 32 bits or more. Uh Uh.

But just as I have enabled easy menu extensions from within the kernel, with SOME space for certain persistent settings, I really believe the next step to be a userland application. Frank has suggested enhancing/replacing "init" as a starting point for userland extensions (good place to do it, too). As that line of development continues, I believe we may commandeer a couple of disk sectors for userland persistent settings -- like custom voladj. The existing VolAdj ioctl()s are still there, so a userland menu extension can easily be coded to allow full tweaking TODAY, and with some hope of persistence later on.

Anyone wanna volunteer to do that? (I'm almost strictly a kernel guy)

One definite possibility for grabbing a couple of disk sectors would be to simply resize the swap partition to be a block smaller. We could then do direct I/O to /dev/hda to read/write the freed sectors; they don't need to be in the partition table (but they could be..).

Edited by mlord (04/11/2001 12:57)