It worked!!!

Well done Smu... I had to hack the code to allow for the unknown chunk I found which I duely copied to the new upgrade image I build (am slightly worried about not knowing what this is but it seemed to work just being copied)... but I managed to end up with an upgrade image that puts on a new kernel that looks for hda2 and pumps hda2 with a root image...

Takes far longer to upgrade as the partition is twice the size... Also for some reason my gzip of the 32Mb partition came out to be ~27Mb whereas empeg's gzip of a 16Mb partition came out to be 3Mb... Need to work out how to get that size down as my current upgrade file is over 28Mb compared to the usual ~3-4Mb... and I am not including the image of hda5...

I have put the image up off my personal page at work (too big for my home server/connection)... If anyone wants to try it... it is Mark Lord's v36 kernel with the hda2 patch and the hda2 partition is just a copy of hda5 with a new init that I have been toying with to test out the idea...

Now need to spend some time and build a more useful hda2 image and start work on an installer program... :)

My thoughts are that we should make it so that /dev/hda2 is wipeable with an image like this and that actual 3rd party software (rather than infrastructure stuff like this) is stored on the music partitions...

Cheers

Kim

PS no guarantees on the upgrade image and I would definitely like to know the meaning of the 0x04 chunk I copied over... but if anyone feels like giving it a test I would love to hear how it goes...

and Smu, I will try and get together a patch of the changes I had to make to your Splitter and Builder code to split the 2.00beta3 upgrade