Greetings!

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I do not know what the laws are like in your jurisdiction. You should check with your local police station to see what the laws involving gun permits are. They, or any local rifle club, may also be able to give you a good idea about what it is like to actually use deadly force in your area. Local clubs are also a good place to sign up for training: for instruction in taking care of the weapon, ways to store the gun to prevent accidents and for target practice.

You may also want to research local papers for the last known incident, and find out what happened then.

An important fact, though. Do NOT buy a gun if you are not comfortable in handling one, if you do not get training in how to use it and store it properly, or if you do not intend to use it if confronted. A gun is not a bluff - if you raise a weapon, you must be ready to use it or it will be taken from you and used against you. And being passive in the event of a robbery (armed or not) can still get you killed.

For public record: I am officially a "gun nut". I am a life member of the NRA... I do not own many guns personally, nor did I buy guns out of fear of being robbed or for protection. My father was a hunter, and my brothers and I were all trained in how to use them. I personally am a horrible shot and I do not know how I would react if put into that situation. I hope I never find out.