In reply to:

The sound of chambering a round in a 12 ga shotgun has a profound effect on any idiot

Reminds me of a harrowing experience I had as a teeneger....

Me and a friend decided to get some apples from someones apple tree one night at around 2am. So here we were up high in this huge tree filling our pockets with apples and the back door of the owners house opens. We froze immediately. This guy started yelling at us to get out of there and we were ever so careful not to make a noise. He then sings out to his wife to get him his shotgun. We both jumped and ran for our lives. I somehow never got a scratch or bruise. I jumped from a height of about 20 feet, going through the branches of the tree with no care for myself, ran through a few more feet of densly packed undergrowth and found my motorcycle and took off. The whole time I was wondering where my friend had disappeared. I shut off the bike and hid a little ways away.... about 2 hours later my friend show up, coming out of the trees limping and bleeding from every limb he has. He ran the wrong way and just went deeper and deeper into the woods. I laughed the whole way home.

I don't own guns, my keys are always left in my truck and often left in my car and suv. The suv (a CR-V) has remote power locks so she gets locked most of the time (it's so easy) but my car and truck are almost never locked (unless I am out of town). I live in a community of about 800 with the closest community being about 30 minutes away and only having a population of 800. It's sometimes nice to live in the boonies. Hardly ever a break-in, and when there is the fucknut is always caught.