"Let’s turn this around. Suppose I said "You are the one deciding if you and the people you love live or die." What is The Right Thing To Do then? Should you and your family die because obviously the thief didn't want to break into your home, so he should get to do what he wants? "

You have some good points. However, I don't believe the premise of this thread was if you should protect yourself in a life threatening situation. I think it has already been established in this thread that most of us believe that home robbers generally are not armed. Do you feel that you are morally justified to use deadly force on an unarmed man? There are so many unknowns in these situations. Maybe the guy is totally down and out and stealing for food. I'm not saying he made the right choice not everyone is running on all 8 cylinders. Maybe the guy is just drunk and mistakenly walked into the wrong house (this has happened). Regardless of what I'm seeing here I can not believe that any of you would do this. The members of this board are just to smart to think that thier material possesions are worth a life.