Quote:
Well, there's a major difference between the American Revolution and the Al-Qaeda attacks. The American revolutionaries attacked the British military and consumable properties. As far as I know, they never attacked civilians or destroyed personal property, at least with intent.

I agree re: major difference. To me, though, it isn't a matter of how we perceive these people -- how we make that comparison -- as much as how *they* perceive themselves. I'm betting they would see the comparison differently.

Throughout history "oppressed/threatened minorities" have turned to terror tactics. Some of them get viewed less harshly, I think, in the glow of history (like they ultimately prevailed and got to write some of the history). Nobody I personally know is going to have a positive view of nasty people who blow innocent people apart, whatever their grievances, but there certainly other people out there who hang their pictures on the wall and honor them. I just can't make myself call them things like "crazed". I think that only helps us to ignore what really makes these folks tick.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.