Quote:
I think the point here is that there is some amount of value in recognizing that these individuals are responding to something in a consistent way. Not that it is right or OK or even justifiable, but that there is a cause (or causes) for their actions.

Well put. I mean even if you want to hate someone or even dehumanize them, not sure it helps to reduce this to "insane".

Quote:
It’s scary to think that there are beliefs and events that would cause someone to think that blowing up civilians is just and appropriate, but such things exist. Even in Jim’s example above of a Texas invasion in search of Christians, I cannot imagine being driven to the extremes that these people have gone to.

And in some subcultures, somebody might ask "What, you say you *wouldn't* blow up the children of your enemy to save your own children's lives? What kind of a man are you?"

Quote:
There is deep culture, religions, pain, and manipulation behind these attacks- I can’t even comprehend what these must be to cause these actions. But one thing is certain- insane people cannot plan these attacks. They were intelligent (somewhat) and deliberate. Which makes them all the more frightening.

Committed, deliberate, intelligent (enough) -- willing to do things we wouldn't conceive of doing -- and devoted to a person/cause that has, at nearly every turn, told us pretty clearly how they intended to hurt us. Now, what to do with that?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.