this si an age old arguement, i doubt anyone will convince anyone. I had a gun, i sold it. i will buy another some time i am sure, why, because i enjoy shooting (target and the odd burnt up stolen car in the desert)

when i leave my house, my gun is diassembled into at least 5 pieces, firing pin locked in a safebox to which only i have the key. WHen i have a gun around a child the gun is either on me holstered, with a safety, or in a lock box, with a trigger lock, unloaded, with teh bullets in another place.

If you are buyign a gun for home defense it is a bad idea.. 99% of the time you won't have time t shoot someone first, or if you do shoot them first you will face criminal charges.

What DOES need to be cut down on is the unregisterred gun buying from gun shows and private citizens. When i sold my gun i sold it to a store, for less money, specifically so i didn't have feduciary responsibility if someone wound up dead because of it. IF i would have run an ad, someone could have come up to me and said

"hi, i am a local phoneix resident and i want to buy your gun"

i wouldn't have even had to card him. That needs to change. The resale of guns is part of the problem, not the first sale of guns.

and also, fwiw, the NRA spends more money prosecuting gun offenders then anything else.