I have spoken to the head of a primary school, who is the wife of one of my oldest friends ( I hope its not your son's!)

She confirms - off the record - that a head does not want matters raised that she is obliged to report to the education authority, and teachers tend to go along with that, by "not bothering her" unless it's drastic.

It's not a very pleasant thing to be told.

She advises that you should contact the School Governor's office at your education committee to ascertain a named person and write detailing all the facts and how they affect your son's education.

Do not co-opt other parents into writing, unless you know them very well, nor mention in your letter that other parents agree with you, unless you are absolutely sure of your ground.

Do not offer opinions on what should be done with the pupil concerned, as you have done in your posting, that's for them to discuss in committee - and you will get a negative reaction for doing their job for them.

If you are not happy with the response, ask for a meeting - but you will probably have to detail why you think a meeting with the Head is not viable.

Sorry, I took it down in longhand over the phone, but that's the gist of it, hope it helps.

P.S. I see where you live now, so it's not your son's head! Just one small point, procedures may differ with different authorities, for instance I can't find a governor's office listed for Harrogate, where I live.

Edited by boxer (22/01/2003 06:06)