Quote:
The "terminal" is usually the *easy* way to do complex things. But if you really prefer mousey methods, then yes, that's actually the default "in your face" mode of most major Linux distros now. Many of them even go to the extreme of making it somewhat difficult to even find a "terminal" window. Which apparently pleases review columnists, but peeves the heck of out me!

Heh. I guess. I started out with PC's back in the eighties, when we all still worked with DOS. I actually liked the command prompt. But it seems there's so much more than can be done with this prompt in Linux, and frankly, it's a bit intimidating. But I would very much like to learn. I figure after working a bit with a graphical shell, the rest will become clear to me after a while too...
Quote:

Look at your empeg running Hijack -- it "streams" mp3 to your PC/whatever, and it's not even a fancy full-fledged Linux distro!

Ah, yes, very true.

Quote:

By far the best way is to have a mate drop over and help out initially. That really shortens the learning curve. I'd offer to, but I suspect we live far far away from each other.

Hey, what's a few thousand km's these days?
You're right of course. And this is probably the main reason why I haven't switched to Linux (yet?): since none of my friends use Linux, I would have to learn it all on my own, with no-one to consult in case problems pop up (which will, of course). This in contrast to the DOS-days, when everybody worked in DOS, and when an answer to any question was always pretty easy to get. Now I would always have to search for the answer myself. Which brings me to the following point...
Quote:

Every major Linux distro includes thousands upon thousands of pages of "HOW-TO" documents, user manuals, help files, etc..

Which nobody ever seems to look at.

... which is this: I guess the reason for this is over-documentation. In Dutch we have a saying, which would be very appropriate in this case: there's so much information out there, it's become almost impossible to still 'see the forest through all the trees.'

While most likely intended to inform new users as good as possible, the amount of information is also pretty intimidating...