Quote:
I'm currently busy ripping all my DVD, and I'm keeping them in the mpeg2 format. (no DivX or Xvid encoding). Storage is cheap enough these days for this not to become a problem. The reason I'm not re-encoding those files into a Divx or so is because I want to be sure to keep the 'original quality'. (the same reason why some people choose FLAC over MP3 I guess). The goal of this project is to create a 'movie jukebox', which I could then use to stream the movies from to a (still to be purchased) 1080p projector.

I already have the network mediaplater player, that's this Freecom 350 model (which is nothing more than a reboxed version of this unit, I found out later). It works very well.

I've ripped all of my DVDs and put them on a fileserver as MPEG2 in VOB format. Works great most...

The only issue is that anything that isn't actually a full blown computer doesn't seem to be able to do the menus when streaming. You can play the video and have all the features. You just can't get the menu so you have to wonder whether RandomExtraFeature is what stream. From what I could find when researching this a couple years back is that its part of the DVD licensing that forbids you from doing this.

I can stream and get the menus if I use a PC/Mac however but thats a bit overboard...