I've had a suspision since I installed this thing that it wasn't working... and I'm pretty dang sure now it's not.

Two reasons:
First, I took the empeg apart, and held the exhaust from my butane soldering iron in the area of the DS1721 temp chip on the I2C board to the point where it definitely was hotter than the threshold I've got it set at... 25 degrees C. No fan movement.

Second, When power is applied to the empeg, the fan momentarily oscillates and then goes still. The center of the spindle gets warm to the touch the longer it's on, and there is resistance to movement when I try and rotate it by hand, more so than when the power is off... like it is fighting same charged poles on a magnet, if that makes sense.

I've metered the obvious points... the board is getting 12V (11V to be exact). I am at a loss as to what else to test, and am a bit peeved I paid for this board when I could just hook the fan straight to 5V and be done with it.

Is there ANYONE who can verify that their board works?? And any help on troubleshooting this is GREATLY appreciated!!!

EDIT: Well... hmm... I put it all back together, and when I plugged the empeg in to AC the fan spun up and is working fine. Color me puzzled!

Edited by loren (16/07/2005 23:09)