Originally Posted By: hybrid8
"the iPhone 4 has a fatal flaw that no other phone in history has ever had" - which is complete BS.

Am I missing something here? Probably I am. Bruno, you know more about cell phones than I will ever want to. I don't even own a cell phone, and when I did it was a $21.95 phone on a $6.67 per month pre-paid plan, and in the year that I had it I probably used it a total of 20 minutes.

That said, has there ever been another phone that lost 90% of its data transfer rate when held in the fashion that 90% of the users would normally hold it? As outlined above, I am probably speaking from a position of invincible ignorance here, and if so you can slap me down and I'll have no hard feelings. But you'd better do it with facts, not mere opinions. I base my assertion that "...the iPhone 4 has a fatal flaw that no other phone in history has ever had" on the fact that when held normally the data transfer rate doesn't just get a little bit worse (like apparently most phones do) but drops precipitously to a small fraction of its nominal value.

Steve Jobs said something to the effect that the problem affects only one half of one percent of the users. This is a classic example of how to lie with statistics. The truth is that only one out of every two hundred users complained about the problem. No doubt the phone works quite well if all you do with it is make phone calls, and probably (I'm just guessing here, no hard data) that is all most users do with it although why such a user would spend $300 to buy the phone and another $100 a month to keep it connected, instead of $21.95 and $6.67/month is beyond me. However, if it is used to its full capabilities (i.e., as a SMARTPHONE) then 100% of the users are affected.

If the phone is held in a normal fashion and used as a Smartphone, there is a serious problem that has not been overblown.

tanstaafl.