Originally Posted By: hybrid8

I think a huge problem is the issue with the proximity sensor causing calls to hang up and other oddities. This seems to affect more people than the antenna problems, it just hasn't gotten the same amount of press because it was harder to pin-point and demonstrate. Seems like Apple will address this one in software. You can hold the phone without touching the black spot, you can put the phone into a case. But you can't really use the phone traditionally without putting it up against your head.

It is very easy to demonstrate and reproduce the proximity sensor issue. All it takes is an iPhone 4+3G/3GS and a piece of paper, dead easy.

The reason the proximity sensor has got less coverage it people (fairly sensibly in mine and sounds like your opinion) expect it to be fixable in software.

The antenna issue however appears* to be unfixable. And adding a Bumper is not a fix. With the Bumper on:

- it doesn't fit in my TomTom dock
- it doesn't fit in Apple's dock
- I can't plug my third party headphones in
- I can't connect my card charger/FM transmitter
- I can't plug my third party charge cable in

If I have to take it out of the Bumper every time I want to do one of these things it is going to dramatically increase the likelihood of me dropping and damaging the phone.

I've tried not touching the spot when holding it, but is very hard for me to achieve. Even if I start a call not touching the spot it is very easy for a finger to wander back on to it.

And it really does take the tiniest touch to trigger it. There is no where on mu 3G that a simple touch can kill the signal.

* I had hoped there would be some way they could tweak the software to at least lesson the problem, but this looks very unlikely now