Quote:
Well, today I spent a LOT of time fiddling and adjusting the bindings, and I'm not sure if I was doing the right things or not. I couldn't get everything quite comfortable. I kept trying different angles and stances and NOTHING felt right to me.

Coming from rentals this is going to happen. Keep trying new things, but don't switch it up too much or else you won't know if you're on the right track - maybe 2 or 3 stance changes per day.

Quote:
On the rental boards with the step-in boots, there were times when I could just relax my stance and not exert any muscle pressure in any direction and I would just cruise straight. When I did that today, that relaxation made my board catch and turn and mess up and such. I wanted to get my weight onto my front foot so I could relax a bit, but I ended up having to pull and twist my front foot's position so much, so hard, for so long, just to go straight, that my legs just ache after each run.

What are you going straight for, anyway?
Rentals are sloppy messes. You've got a nice board with a good human->board interface and edges that are actually sharp. This will cause you to have problems trying to "rest" while crusing straight. I usually keep a slight edge one way or the other on the flats.

Quote:
So I'm still trying to decide what to do about my stance. Simple question, but perhaps a not so simple answer: Which is better, stance forward on the board, or stance backward on the board? i.e., center of gravity mostly forward or mostly backward?

Centered is usually best, 1"-2" back for powder. You can set your bindings back 1" if it feels better, but never forward of center.

Quote:
I had the pain and tiredness in my feet, ankles, and calves, but I'm pretty sure it was my need to find a good stance adjustment, and not the boots. The way my legs/feet felt would change with each stance adjustment I made.

Do you have a snowboard-specific pair of socks? I have a pair from Fox River and they really help to relieve pressure where it counts. Definately more comfortable after getting a pair of these - I used to use single-thickness ski socks, but these are the cat's whiskers.

Quote:
Since the back doesn't fold back perfectly flat, you could theoretically run into trouble if your chairlift is very low to the ground. As you're getting onto the lift, your back binding is underneath the chair. The backs of these bindings could get literally snapped off if the chairlift is all the way to the ground.

Yeah, this sucks. Chairs are supposed to be about 18" off the ground, but I've run into this problem with my old school Burton 3-strap bindings, which are rigid highbacks. You just have to watch to see if the chair is going to compress too much, I guess.

Quote:
The next thing is, I was hoping that I could just step into the binding (leaving it open but stepping into it loosely) as I got off the chair lift. Thus giving me more control when I got off the lift and less likely to fall. (I hate using the stomp pad, I have zero control over the board when my back foot is there.)

You should probably practice with the stomp pad, everyone else uses one.

Quote:
The lift operators get mad when I do it. I don't know why. You'd think they'd want me to be less likely to fall and block the lift exit. I think that when they see me do it, they see it from a distance, so they think I'm latched in with both feet when I'm not really.

Because if you fall while your foot is even semi-strapped in they have to stop the lift. You're not as agile with both feet strapped in.

Quote:
The whole idea was that the ratcheted toe and instep straps would be a "set it and forget it" affair. I'd set them once at the beginning of the day and then wouldn't have to undo them again for the rest of the day.

I don't think this is actually a realistic goal. I even loosen up my front binding a few clicks when riding the lift because it's more comfortable, but each run I might adjust the binding tighter or looser based upon what I'm doing. If I'm hitting the park, I'll keep them looser, but if I'm carving the groomers I'll tighten them down until my toes are blue.

Sounds like you still had a good time!