Quote:
I think it's pretty clear that Bush comes from a position of conservative faith.

I think that we're all aware by now that I'm pretty close to being anti-religious, so I think you should take this as the viewpoint of an outsider looking in:

I am positive that Bush's faith is a fraud. I don't think that he's any more Christian than Anton Lavey. I truly believe that he is one hundred percent pandering to the conservative Christian masses. That is, he talks the talk, but does not walk the walk.

Consider this for a minute. Then consider if you'd still vote for him if he did not claim to be Christian, or make any pretense about it, but made the same presidential decisions. It sounds to me as if you're choosing him simply because he claims to have the same religion you do. Now, I don't believe that that's enough of a reason to begin with. After all, I'm sure David Duke would claim the same thing. But, regardless of whether or not I feel that a candidate's religion is a good selection criterion, it definitely becomes bad when it's a lie intended solely to get you to choose him.

I'd appreciate it if you'd think about this, because I'm sure many of us believe that Bush's faith really is fraudulent. I'd consider my wife to be quite a religious person (albeit not in the same vein as yours) and she's even more convinced than I am that Bush is a poseur.