Actually, let me expand on that a little.

There are, I'm sure, many people everywhere, including the South, that are genuine Christian people who do nice things for others because they feel that it's the right thing to do. To me, this is a true Christian attitude, and the act of proselytizing is secondary at best.

But there are way too many people, and they are the really vocal ones, for whom Christianity is a way to feel superior. They're "better" Christians than you are. Why aren't you going to church? Can't you see that you're living in sin? Christian-owned plumbing. Truth-Fish-eats-Darwin-Fish stickers. These people, the ones that make sure you know that they're Christian, their faith is, at best, secondary to feeling superior. While I'm sure that they're in the minority, it's a very common attitude and it sure doesn't feel like a minority. (BTW, no one I can think of on this board seems to have this attitude.)

I was not always the religious outsider I portray myself as now. I went to church virtually every week for the first sixteen or so years of my life. Not really feeling like there was anything there for me was the reason I left, but this overly prevalent attitude is the reason I grew to detest organized religion.

Anyway, George W. Bush displays this attitude in spades. Except that he seldom seems to actually speak of Christianity, and when he does, it seems very superficial.

I don't really have any solid evidence. It's just a very strong intuitive feeling based on prior experience.