In reply to:

I'm personally very pleased to see the new feature - I feel that my job is more secure as a result. The fact that some people are so upset suggests that they DO spend time watching visuals whilst driving without a passenger in the car - which I find frightening!

It's nice that we have a safety feature in advance of it becoming compulsory (which it will do) for in-car equipment visible to the driver. It's also nice that we have implemented it in a very user friendly way, compared with other systems. Check out Alpine's new multimedia head, which displays a disclaimer (that must be acknowledged) every time it boots (even if you're just listening to the radio!).

Please take the time to read this, as I think it might explain why some people don't like this premature enforcement (It's not law yet, and probably will never be in lots of jurisdictions)

• Firstly, please don't insult us by assuming we watch visuals when driving. Please look at my reasons below.
  • Secondly, it doesn't matter how badly other companies fit this "feature" the point is the public won't like it, and I fail to see how including user intervention where previously there was none is "User friendly".
  • Thirdly, no mention has been made as to if you will provide an option (either in emplode, or on the player) to permanently turn this feature off, which would sort the whole problem, and I would shut up... =)

I should give some reasons as to why visuals are needed in the car anyway..

In my installation I've got 2 head units, because I sometimes don't take the empeg with me (Like if I'm going to the pub, and I'll have to park in a dodgy area), and this limits me to putting the empeg quite low down in the dash (It's about 6 inches off the floor)
Now, due to bits of plastic, shadows etc the top of the display is quite difficult to see, so the menu system is difficult to use safely, so I use large playlists, and skip though the tracks with the steering wheel remote (Bought so I can keep my eyes on the road)
On the full info screen I can only really see from the very bottom of the title (and the Artist line and everything below).
The line info is viewable, because it's at the bottom of the screen, and normally I run InfoTex Zoom, because I can see most of that at a quick glance.
So I don't spend time looking at pretty visuals in the car, but still your change means I have to fiddle with the menus to get _my_ preference back...

Yes, it's my installation that means I can't see the damn thing properly, but hey, that's my problem. Please don't add to it further, allow us to be intelligent human beings, and let us choose what we want to do.

I'll get me coat...

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)