I'm just wondering if this display actually needs to be connected to both the empeg serial port RX and TX lines. From what I can tell you don't ever read anything back from the VFD. If so then a SPDT switch would do. Also wouldn't a three pin header and a jumper be cheaper than using a switch?

Good point, and one I considered.. The reasons I came up with including both was:
1. Upgrading - In case, sometime in the future, there's newer model that talks back (for whatever reason), wouldn't have to redesign the whole board.
2. If anyone wanted to use something else TTL related, they could make a cable and use the board.
3. I actually was going to use the input back from the VFD, at least for the "R" code it sends back.. (If my program initializes at startup, and the VFD's not there, it will try to reset the board until we get a responce, knowing it's there.) Althought this isn't as important as #1.

The price difference wasn't that great - the switch was $7.. Considering the VFD is $120, I can spend another $7. :>

Have you thought about using Veroboard/stripboard actually? The circuit is very simple and wouldn't require much Veroboard and it would save you money on getting a proper PCB.

Are these design software or makers? I've never heard the terms (looking up now..). I'm just arguing with the software I have now to agree on pin layouts.

Me.

Edit: Aaah, I see what the Veroboard is. It may be a good alternative. It certainly is for making a proto of the board and testing it all before sending it to a maker, at least. Thanks for the suggestion..!

Edited by foxtrot_xray (21/02/2003 16:30)