I'm wondering if there are any software available to drive the VFD board?

When I eventually get a way of running the 610 from Mike that isn't a fire hazard , I will update my software for the 3900 to drive it and the 7000s too.

If not, would the info that the 3.0 player outputs on the serial port be enough to
get it up and running?

That's one thing I'd like to get rid of.. When you boot the empeg it sends the boot log out the serial port and on to your VFD. The 7000 runs at 115.2kbps (like the empeg), so seeing the boot log is okay I guess, but the 3900 and 610 run at slower speeds, so you see a garbled and non-deterministic mess.

I work around it now by just delaying and resetting the display, but it would be nice to not see it. Or see a boot logo instead. The 3900 has Flash memory and macros so I cam probably work around it there (maybe display a boot logo instead), for the other models I think we'd need a custom quiet kernel. Or one that boots at 19.2/38.4kbps. Or a relay that disables the VFD's receive line until booting is done.

Receiving random data could theoretically put the VFD in a state where it's looking for more data and loses the beginning of the first command we send, which messes up the second, etc. Hasn't happened to me, but it could happen.