Okay this isn't quite ready for primetime yet but what the hell..

Here's a quick demo of mine in action.. RemoteEmpeg.mp4 (6.4mb MPEG-4) and a picture of the whole setup. The stuff on the board to the left of the power cable is for the 12->5v regulator, the stuff on the right is all to convert the joystick (and 9 extra available pins) to serial and send to the Empeg.

There's a couple issues to be resolved,

- The app gets starved for CPU time once in a while, usually when the player is spinning up the disks..

- The display updates slowly.. most of this is because I chose a 256x64 display that's only 38,400bps, but there's still lots of room for optimization. I liked the 256x64 because it can display the normal Empeg screen and still have room for 3 other 128x32 panes of information (OBD-II?, GPS?). There are others that are smaller, bigger, faster, slower, etc. I have a 140x32 that runs at 115,200 (you can see it on the piece of paper) too.

- The Hijack menu isn't accessible from calling the EMPEG_HIJACK_INJECTBUTTONS ioctl

- Grayscale.. none of the serial VFDs do it. If the app knew what screen was being displayed it could decide what to do with the "dim" and "slightly less dim" colors better; Right now it just drops them or else menus are unreadable.