Originally Posted By: tfabris
That's a good suggestion. Also, what about an intermittent short on the power button?

I haven't touched the case in months - it lives on a rack in my basement. But I'll check for obstructions and the like if the problem happens again.

Quote:
Is the PC actually fully shut down or did it get placed into standby mode?

It was fully shut down. Pressing the power button ran it through regular post and boot sequence as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Did it shut down gracefully or did it just lose power?

There was no message when starting Windows saying that it wasn't properly shut down "boot from safe," etc. when I started it up. Other than that, is there any other way for me to know? I have no idea how/why it shut down. I don't even know the exact time of the shutdown.

Quote:

Some operating systems have an option as to how to behave when the power button is pressed. See if the power button is programmed to "Shut Down" or to "Standby". If the former, set it to the latter, and observe the behavior if you leave it running overnight.

The power button is set to shut down and the sleep button (which i don't have) is set to stand by. I'll try this if the issue happens again.

I've reinstalled the previous copy of Slim Center I was running to see if the issue happens again. So I'd like to confirm this and then look into trouble-shooting the hardware. In the end, I just need it to behave for the next couple of weeks if I'm to replace the hardware. If I notice it's back to solid, then I can post-pone the new hardware until the new year.