The only other thing that it can possibly be is the motherboard. Which ASUS claims is in perfect working order. The PS has been replaced and both the new one and old one seem to be working flawlessly.

The CPU won't cause the memory to go bad. And the tuner boards (the only cards in the system) work flawlessly in my Shuttle system and have certainly not ever caused any components in that to go bad.

I'm definitely getting that Gigabyte mobo. I'm now off Crucial shit memory products and I don't plan to come back to ASUS any time soon (as mentioned earlier, every single ASUS mobo I've ever had has eventually gone bad). To show you how crap the modules are, I peeled off one of the aluminum "heat spreader" covers and half the memory chips came up with it. The adhesive didn't seem all that strong as it easily peeled off the other remaining chips.

If anyone wants the mobo, they can have it for free - just pay for however much it costs to ship it.

I'll be dropping my Hauppauge PVR-500 very soon since I'm going OTA-only for add-in cards (HVR-1600 and 2250) with an HD-PVR externally for HD satellite capture.

The new memory has been put into the computer and now I just have to repair the Windows installation which unfortunately was damaged in one of the spontaneous reboots/crashes during the night. It claims my hal.dll is corrupted or missing - luckily MS has a KB article about this very issue, so I'll get to see how well their solution works.