I have Windows update turned OFF, so that's not the culprit.

And Trevor, I didn't say that Macs never have hardware or other faults. But the situation I'm describing is quite unique to a Windows-based system. Mac OS doesn't have a craptastic installer with cryptic messages. Let alone messages that tell you that one thing is wrong when in fact it might be something completely different.

Comparing the quality of the hardware in any Mac to what ASUS produces for their own branded MOBOs is like comparing the quality of a current BMW to a 1982 Hyundai.

Updating the BIOS didn't help with the ACPI error. It flashed/updated successfully but still the same error when booting the Windows installer.

I finally had to press F7 at bootup to omit the "complete ACPI" - right now it's progressing through the initial stages of a repair installation (the same type recommended earlier and that I used to reinstall Windows last time).

If anyone can think of a way for me to check my memory without booting into Windows and without a floppy disk I'll give it a shot. Something that can boot from a USB key would be ideal.