Originally Posted By: mlord
Note that PVRs don't have to be powered up all of the time to do their thing -- our MythTV box is only powered up when actually recording or when we're viewing recordings.

I would love to run the system in this fashion, but I don't think my hardware setup will gracefully deal with all the power management requirements for this, even if SageTV did support putting the machine to sleep and waking it again (which I'm not sure it does completely yet).

I should have mentioned in the other thread, this is another requirement of a new mobo, power management layers properly and completely implemented to allow this type of scheduling to be done by the OS services.

As long as the new SageTV extender product can wake the server I'll be set. That's something I'm going to look into as well because I'm not currently using extenders. I'm looking forward to disconnecting the computer's video from the TV though since it will open up a lot of possibilities. Running the TV at HD resolutions conveniently, ability to decode HD streams without bogging down the record processes, ability to log into the computer remotely without affecting the video output to the TV and of course being able to get the PVR content onto more than one TV.