____________________________________________________________________________________________________
but a friend of mine made a good point that there is a layer of abstraction there -- by upgrading the plants, we "cure" the problem for many houses, as opposed to every SUV being a tiny little problematic power plant.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Every fuel-consuming engine is a problematic powerplant from lawn mowers to Boeing Airliners the focus seems to single out SUVs as the first "layer" to correct. This simply doesn't make sense to me.

Just because there are other trucks that may be larger doesn't make SUV's less bad. Besides, look at the numbers. As of 1997, there are 7 million "large trucks" registered and 67 million "light trucks" registered (and 124 million cars, incidentally). So yes, they're crappier but there are a much smaller number of them on the road.

I think the number of large trucks (which include panel trucks, tow trucks, pickups as well as semis and others) on the road must be greater than SUVs. Using your logic cars are not "less bad" than SUVs

The original discussion wasn't about bad drivers. I think everyone agrees that 98% of people are jackasses

Point taken.

First of all, could you really "not live with yourself"? Somebody's a drama queen

Maybe a bit overdramatic but I take exception to the Queen comment!