OK, point taken. That was a pretty broad statement and I really didn't mean to include everyone. Being a musician I've certainly dealt with more than a few people who drive vans for the utility. Also there are some (possibly like yourself) who simply don't care about how "cool" a vehicle is.

You should note, however, that don't drive the car I do to project an image to anyone. I really don't care what other people think of my car; I think it's cool and that's why I bought it. I seriously doubt as I drive down the road people say: "Wow, a green Mustang, I've never seen one of those before. He must be really cool!"

I suppose I get the sense (perhaps wrongly) that you think only utilitarian criteria should be used in assessing a purchase. THIS is what I disagree with. Certainly if you only care about utility then go right ahead and ignore aesthetics, but for others there is nothing wrong with choosing something because it's “cooler” (if they can afford it) even if it costs more. We (or most of us) make decisions on non-utilitarian criteria all the time, from clothes to houses. I am very fortunate to live in a place where I have the freedom to spend my money this way. What we each favor is what makes us different and unique, it shouldn't be looked down upon.