Yeah interesting I like these quote:

In reply to:

''Not all SUVs are created equal, and I would urge people not to just take what salesmen have to tell them about safety features, but to do their own research,'' he (NHSTA's Administrator Runge) said.

As for himself, Runge said he wouldn't drive an SUV that scored fewer than three stars in NHTSA's five-star rollover rating

More than 30, or about one-third, of the 2002 SUVs tested by the agency earned just one or two stars, including the top-selling SUV, Ford Explorer, and other popular models such as Chevrolet Tahoe, Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Xterra and Mitsubishi Montero

And then this bit is is interesting too:

In reply to:

Automakers don't like NHTSA's rollover ratings, derived from a mathematical equation based on wheel width and center of gravity.

''We don't agree that the current static stability method is a good one,'' Ford spokeswoman Sara Tatchio said.

''It doesn't take into consideration stability control technology that greatly affects driving performance.''

''NHTSA's current test doesn't factor in enhancements we make to suspensions, tire size and other handling features we put into our vehicles,'' General Motors spokesman Jim Schell said.

NHTSA is developing a test for rollover tendency based on driving maneuvers done on a track. A final standard for that test is expected this year. Meanwhile, the current rating method ''accurately predicts rollover behavior of SUVs in real-world driving,'' NHTSA spokesman Tim Hurd said

Where the Automakers say the test used by the NHTSA doesn't accurately predict rollover behaviour in newer SUVs and the NHSTA says "oh yes it does".

So, who do you believe - since the NHSTAs model seems to be accurate (according to them) for predicting past SUVs rollover behaviour, its probably a good predictor for current SUV models on the road.

Whether it accurate for future SUVs with all the handling control stuff that Detroit has finally put in there, who knows, but I guess thats why the NHSTA is implementing the newer testing model performed on a track to be finalised this year - and you can bet that there will be something about this testing procedure that Detroit won't like either - giving them more excuses to not change things for the better in the meantime.