Yes, maybe using less electricity, using the car (whatever type) less or even (shock horror) using public transport or more efficient methods - like car pooling, to travel to/from work if possible and practical in your line of work.

Of course we as a country haven't exactly done a good job providing transit service. I bought my house expecting to change jobs but knowing it was a one bus ride to my office. That was only just over 7 years ago. Service has been cut considerably in that time. It takes about an hour for me to walk to the bus and then ride it to my office, assuming it leaves on time. That's non-rush, I never go inbound during rush, or outbound if avoidable.

Since I'm at the end of the line I get a seat inbound. If I go outbound often I don't get a seat until more than 2/3 of the way home. That means that it's not really more productive than driving, because it takes longer and I don't get to work anyhow. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a house close to work, but I don't want to move. Moving sucks.

There's a "maglev" proposal which is supposed to pass nearby on the way to downtown Pittsburgh, but it will stop neither close to here nor to my office, which is closer to me by several miles than downtown. There is a transit expressway which is actually being extended further out from the city right now, but the bus which ran from near here to the exit from that expressway which is near my office was discontinued in 1989 or so. So basically, because I don't work downtown, but instead in the area that is the 3rd largest transit trip generator in the state, or was last I checked (Center City Philadelphia, Downtown Pittsburgh, Oakland, in that order) I stand basically not a chance of seeing service improvements any time soon, and instead the service runs infrequently during non-rush, and more frequently but not "frequent" during rush. I seriously want a real transit system. I'm still hoping to pull off a 6 month sabbatical in Stockholm next year, at least in small part because their transit system (though the subway now shuts down overnight) is useful.

After I got job #2 I started driving to Oakland when I don't work from home. When I go back to having one job, I will probably go back to taking the bus every day and wasting twice as much time going back and forth as I do driving.

There may be hope. Pennsylvania will probably get a former executive director of the body which operates Pittsburgh's transit system as the next Secretary of Transportation, But I'll probably have a Pearl long before I'll have a commute short enough to want to use it on.