In reply to:

So how much pollution are SUVs really pumping out? Is it the 6x figure which seems absolutely incredible? Which kinds of pollution are most important and how do SUVs stack up with those?

The 6 times figure is probably gained from comparing the emission of Nitrous Oxides (NOX) compounds - a modern car will emit something like .2 grams per kilometer driven, wheras the average SUV starts at 1.2 grams per km and goes up.

(1.2 / .2 = 6 times)

I think the measurements are grams and kilometres.

NOX is one of the pollutants that causes smogs, and respitory diseases, Asthma and other conditions, as well contributing to acid rain.

Anyway, yes SUVs can and do emit 6 times (or more) the pollution levels of other modern vehicles - no-one disputes that fact.

I have a copy of the ChryslerDaimler Environmental report for 2002 at home I can get some figures from if you really want to know - but comparing the European car pollution figures with the US car figures make for very sobering reading as to how far behind the US car makers are in this area.

And as Chrysler don't make SUVs these are the "better looking" i.e. lower US car pollution figures than say Ford or GM pollution figures would be in comparison.

But I've yet to see the figures for GM or Ford vehicles - probably these aren't published very widely, for good reason.