I suppose I get the sense (perhaps wrongly) that you think only utilitarian criteria should be used in assessing a purchase

Well, I'd say that I'm coming across as I am, because most people aren't putting enough emphasis on utilitarian criteria. Sorry if I have come across so abrasively

If it helps, my decision was also affected by coolness. After I chose that I wanted a minivan, it was between the Nissan Quest and the Odyssey. Due to several reasons (terrifying handling, shoddy build quality, the fact that it's a Nissan), I went with the Odyssey. I think I was only thinking about the Quest because I hadn't driven an Odyssey yet (they were too popular at the time). I picked it because it drove beautifully, was the first minivan to not look either boxy or bubbly, had power sliding doors, and a nav system. Of course, people have to ride in one to discover all but one of those "cool" factors

I'll end my involvement with this paraphrase from a GTA3 radio commercial:
"I'm a marketing exec. I live alone and drive to work on the highway. So of course I need a car that seats 12 and is equiped to drive across arctic tundra." Ah, the Zaibutsu Monstrosity