Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I don't expect the Pre to generate any buzz or response within Apple.

Prediction failure #1.

If anything, it wasn't the Pre, but Palm's loud-mouth CEO that would have prompted any type of comment. But that comment was by the media anyway, not Apple.

Maybe I should have written "worry" or something else other than "buzz" however. I suspect that plenty of people inside Apple have had a chuckle or all-out fits of laughter at the Pre and Palm lately. One might say that's "buzz" but it's not what I meant.

The only reaction or worry I see is from Palm who to this date have yet to show any type of real innovation - I'm going all the way back to the first Pilot here. Palm's reactionary development and twist on a theme worked for them over a decade ago, but it's going to fall flat this time around.

They're being praised mostly by media people who don't know much at all about the product. They're receiving more than their fair share of blog coverage because they're perceived as the underdog and a lot of people love the underdog story. However, Palm are acting like a bunch of arrogant dipsh*ts who are completely out of touch with reality - this has been going on for quite a few years (recall Colligan's comments regarding Apple's then-unannounced iPhone rumors).

I don't know how much more of a beating they need to take to knock some sense into them. Palm has a lot to be thankful for, but innovation isn't one of those things. Instead they need to acknowledge the deep pockets of friendly investors and Apple for providing the blueprint for their products. Not to mention Apple defectors within their company helping them stay afloat.