Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Palm are a bunch of whining thieves for pulling this stunt.

Yeah, sure.

Quote:
They simply recognize that they can't deliver a solution to rival iTunes, due to both financial constraints and lack of talent (head count), so they think they can leverage the millions that Apple has spent to provide their phone with a syncing solution.

So let me ask you (and I know you'll go 100% Apple Fanboy on this issue like all the others), how do you feel about 3rd party syncing software like Media Sync? It's effectively the same in the end, and Apple has no problem with it. Why? Because they know that users of these other devices will be annoyed by the process (or not even realize it's available to them), and they'll theoretically want to move to an Apple product.

I'm not saying that it isn't Apple's prerogative, but this entire issue has nothing to do with whether Apple is letting a non-Apple product sync with iTunes, so that argument is invalid. The walled garden already has a visitor's entrance. This is about making it slightly easier for the average consumer to sync to iTunes, instead of making it a complicated mess.

Quote:
This is the exact same scenario as if HP didn't want to make their own scanning software and instead modified their firmware so people could use Canon's software. It's against USB spec, it's a DMCA violation and it's a breach of licensing agreements. I'm sure it can be argued in court to also violate copyright on the software.

Oh sweet Jesus, we should all be so lucky as to have HP give up on their own software.

I'm just curious, but do you have something that backs up that DMCA violation claim?