Originally Posted By: drakino
Lets change the name of the players here. empeg Ltd. made software called emplode that was used for syncing to the empeg car. Would there be a problem if SSI made their Neo-35 player show up over USB as an empeg-car (using the same vendor and device ID) for the purposes of syncing with emplode? All being done without a person from SSI contacting empeg for permission or approval. This includes using the possibly trademarked name "emplode" in marketing material for the Neo-35.

Trademark law means they'd have to attribute that trademark correctly if they use it in their marketing materials. In other words, our competitor would be naming us directly, and as the standard they try to be compatible with, in their marketing materials. We'd be turning cartwheels.

I always thought it was dumb that Rio Music Manager would only sync to VID/PID pairs it knew about. I wish we'd sneaked in a registry entry or something that would make it list, and sync to, all mass-storage and MTP devices. (The restriction, AIUI, wasn't there for product-tying reasons particularly, but because we didn't want it to be our tech-support problem if Rio Music Manager stored a bunch of stuff onto a third-party device that couldn't actually handle it.)

And in fact when I was still at Sigmatel working on the Trekstor Vibez firmware, I hacked my own copy so that Vibez had the Rio Carbon VID and PID, and thus could be used with existing copies of Rio Music Manager.

Peter