Quote:
What makes the Sprint example even more pathetic is that they're attacking a single product, not the network which they directly compete against, ATT.

When you have exclusive contracts with carriers, using the devices to sell the networks and vice versa is fair game. The Pre might as well be a "Sprint" product and the iPhone an "AT&T Product", at least in the U.S. AT&T sold a lot of 2-year contracts with the iPhone, and Sprint's trying to do the same.

Quote:
Distant number two or three companies on the verge of becoming B-list brands are famous for this. Pepsi and Burger King to name two perfect examples.

Apple's a "distant number two or three" when it comes to desktop OS share, desktop/laptop sales, etc. With that in mind, how is this any different from the "I'm a Mac / I'm a PC" campaign? Sprint first calls out the competitor's weaknesses and explains how the Pre is better (using two of the major selling points, multitasking and a lower overall TCO.)

You have one or two valid points in there about the grammar SNAFU and the truthiness about 4G. But this is standard Madison Avenue marketing/advertising BS that every company, Apple included, engages in, and I have no idea how you can handle the cognitive dissonance of accusing Sprint of hitting below the belt when Apple does it regularly. The only reason they (and AT&T) don't do it with the iPhone is that they don't have to -- that's the benefit of being the BMOC.