Originally Posted By: tonyc
most devices get better after the first few charge cycles, so we'll have to see how reports are in a couple weeks.

And the iPhone and G1 have better battery life after software updates. I think power management is a low priority when trying to rush these devices out the door. I wouldn't be surprised to see better battery life in the upcoming 1.1 release or another one down the line.

Frankly, I'm not surprised by the battery life of any of these devices. I was thinking about this recently, and I think that every smartphone I've had has really had about the same battery performance. I just didn't notice it before the G1, because I didn't use my other smartphones nearly as much. I've had the Blackberry Curve, Treo 700W, Treo 650, Treo 600, and the Sony Ericsson P900. None of these got me through the entire day if I really used them. I just happened to usually get through an entire day because those "smartphones" were such a chore to do anything fun/useful on that I ended up minimizing my use of them.

Example: my Curve probably had the best battery life of the smartphones I've used, but once I started using it in the car to play music/podcasts, and once I found a half-way decent browser and a couple good applications for it, I'd easily run the battery down before I got home in the evening.