Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: drakino
Yep, and there are 3rd party MP3 players and phones that sync directly with iTunes because the companies that made them worked out agreements with Apple.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Could you give me a few examples?

Rio has quite a few, including some where a bundle (driver package basically) downloaded from Rio enabled native iTunes support. Apple has the full list. As for phones, there were a number of Motorola phones that had an "iTunes" player on the phone and would sync to the iTunes desktop software.

peter said this earlier in the thread regarding Rio and iTunes players:
Originally Posted By: peter
That wasn't an open-kimono policy, that was an attempt to remove a roadblock from potential Windows-to-Mac switchers.

So while it was a move to benefit Apple, it did also show they were at one time willing to work with other MP3 player manufactures. The phones were likely an experiment for Apple to get their feet wet prior to starting in on major development of the iPhone. Similar to Microsoft helping out with the Dreamcast, then turning around and developing the XBox.

I too wonder how a conversation would go now, but thus far Palm hasn't indicated that conversation even took place.