Originally Posted By: tonyc
In the end, even if Sprint decides to get Gung Ho about blocking tethering, I think the hackers will win as they usually do, and I'll have some mechanism for tethered EVDO access when I really need it.

I'll be curious to see how things go with the forced upgrade issue. Sure, the hackers will probably find ways to get ghetto tethering going again. The real question is, how many people are willing to jump through the hoops every time to get it working? I got lucky on the iPhone twice now regarding tethering, but it's not something I depend on or expect to still work tomorrow. First, I was able to snag NetShare off the app store, providing the same ghetto tethering via SOCKS, and allowing basic connectivity. The biggest issue that method has is that there is no way to VPN with it, and it's tricky on OS X to get SOCKS wrappers working to allow other non proxy able apps to work. Then somehow during the 3.0 beta cycle, the official tethering via USB or Bluetooth started working. This is still going for me, even with the 3.0 GM build cleanly restored onto the phone, so for now I've got full tethering. If it goes away tomorrow, oh well.

I just wish the carriers would allow tethering on a daily basis, instead of charging so much more for it on a monthly basis. The rare times I need tethering are usually when I am stuck with paying for crappy hotel internet.